As the number of marijuana users increases each year, there’s certainly no shortage of new products on the cannabis market. Vaping and dabbing are all the rage right now, but so are weed edibles such as weed brownies and other sweet treats.
While you can certainly go to the dispensary and buy pre-made pot candies if you’re a newbie to the edibles world, making them from scratch at home is much more satisfying, especially if you enjoy baking. You can not only adjust the doses to your taste, but you can choose what edible you prefer instead of just going for the selection you have at the dispensary.
We’ve previously covered other cannabis products such as cannabutter and cannabis oil as well as shared a recipe for making the strongest weed brownies, but this article will focus on hard candies and how you can make them from the comfort of your own home.
What Are Cannabis Candies and What Types of Weed Candy Are There?
Cannabis candies marijuana edibles either contain cannabidiol (CBD) and are used mostly for medicinal purposes, or contain a mix of both CBD and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and are used for recreational purposes. Before we get into how you can make pot candies at home, these are some types of cannabis candy you can make:
- Cannabis gummies;
- Cannabis lollipops;
- Cannabis chocolate.
The Basic Ingredients for Making Cannabis Candies
When it comes to the ingredients you need to make your weed candies, there are a few which are essential, and they can vary depending on which candy you’re making.
Other than the kitchen equipment and the other supermarket produce you’ll need for making your edibles, you’ll also need one of the following cannabis products:
- Cannabis tincture;
- Cannabis oil;
- Decarboxylated cannabis.
Having your cannabis products such as cannabis butter, cannabis oil, or cannabis tincture all ready to go is essential. Otherwise, you’ll need to decarboxylate your cannabis so you can include it in your recipe. The decarboxylation process is essential since it converts the cannabinoid acids THCA and CBDA into their cannabinoid counterparts THC and CBD.
How To Make Weed Candy?
This article will give you a few recipes you can try to make a few of the most common cannabis candies like lollipops, gummies, and cannabis chocolate. You can try one of them, or try all of them, but we know for sure that these recipes will not disappoint.
Weed Gummies Recipe
Cannabis gummies are the easiest candy to make. To make your cannabis gummy bears from scratch, you’ll need the following ingredients and tools:
- Candy molds made from silicone;
- Pouring device like a measuring cup;
- Non-stick cooking spray;
- A 3 oz package of Jell-O in your favorite flavor;
- Unflavored gelatin (2.5 tablespoons of gelatin powder or 7.5 gelatin sheets);
- 1/2 cup of cold water;
- 1/4 cup of corn syrup;
- 1/4 cup of cannabis infused coconut oil;
- 2 teaspoons of sunflower / soy lecithin;
- Kief (optional).
- Prepare your gelatin by sprinkling both the gelatin and the jello on top of the water and allow it to bloom for at least 5 minutes.
- Combine the gelatin and the corn syrup together in a sauce pan and heat this mixture over medium to low heat until it simmers. Whisk the mixture often and make sure not to let the gelatin boil. Once you see foam forming on top of the liquid in the saucepan, take the foam off and reduce the temperature.
- After a while, the mixture will become smoother and completely melted which should be a sign for you to remove it from the heat and leave it to cool.
- Next, you should add the lecithin and the cannabis infused oil and mix well until everything is smooth.
- Spray the silicone molds with cooking spray and set them on baking trays lined with parchment paper so they can be removed easily.
- Add the filling to a measuring cup and fill each mold. Leave them to cool down to room temperature.
- Transfer the cannabis gummies to the fridge for a minimum of one hour.
- Take the gummies out of the mold and transfer them onto the parchment paper to air dry. You can add powdered sugar mixed with kief on top of the gummies if you wish, as this step is optional.
Cannabis Lollipop Recipe (Hard Candy Recipe)
To make weed lollipops you’ll need the following:
- Candy thermometer;
- Medium saucepan;
- Lollipop or hard candy molds;
- Lollipop sticks;
- Cannabis tincture (2-3 teaspoons or as much as you prefer);
- 1 cup sugar;
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup;
- 1/4 cup water;
- 1 tsp orange or lemon flavoring;
- Food coloring if you want to make your lollipops a different color.
- The first thing you need to do is take your medium saucepan, place it over medium-high heat, and add the sugar, light corn syrup, and water.
- Stir until all your ingredients are combined and the sugar is dissolved.
- After a while, the mixture will start boiling which is a sign that you should stop stirring.
- Use a candy thermometer and when the temperature reaches 300°F (150°C), remove the saucepan from the heat and keep your candy thermometer in.
- Watch as the temperature cools down and once it drops to 150°F (121°C), add in the orange or lemon flavor along with the cannabis tincture and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the mixture into lollipop molds or candy molds and allow it to cool down to room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Store your lollipops in an airtight container and enjoy them as you please.
Cannabis Chocolate Recipe
There aren’t a lot of people who aren’t chocolate fans, so we had to include this recipe as well. To make your cannabis chocolate, you’ll need:
- Chocolate molds;
- Double boiler;
- 300 g of your favorite chocolate;
- Decarbed cannabis, cannabis tincture, or cannabutter in your preferred dose;
- Your desired toppings (you can add dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and even hemp seeds);
- Lecithin (optional).
- To make your cannabis chocolate, prepare your double boiler and add the chocolate to the top bowl. Make sure that the top bowl has a larger diameter than the pot to prevent the vapor from getting in your chocolate.
- Mix constantly to prevent your chocolate from burning, and once the chocolate is 70% melted, remove it from the heat.
- Add the decarbed cannabis or the tincture to your chocolate and mix well.
- Pour your chocolate into the molds and make sure you don’t get water inside the chocolate.
- Top the chocolate with your favorite toppings and allow it to cool down at room temperature.
- Heat baking chocolate or chocolate chips in a bowl placed on top of a pot of hot water. The bowl must have a larger diameter than the pot to prevent water from contaminating the chocolate. Do not cover the bowl when heating chocolate.
- Once the chocolate melts and has a runny consistency, add the ground decarbed cannabis or activated tincture. Mix very well. Continue to heat gently until you have a smooth pourable consistency.
- Pour the mixture into chocolate molds, being careful not to get any water in the chocolate. Let it cool at room temperature.
- Optional step: you can add lecithin to your chocolate mixture so it’s easier to pour.
Every cannabis enthusiast enjoys a good weed edible every once in a while. Cannabis can be used to make a wide variety of products ranging from brownies to lollipops, chocolate, and other delicious treats, and the limit is just your imagination.
Knowing how to make your own marijuana candy will not only be better for your budget, but you can also adjust the doses according to your preference. Keep in mind that edibles take a longer time to kick in compared to smoking weed, so always go lighter when dosing your edibles. But go ahead and enjoy your weed candies!